"I am alive and kicking"

Never miss a post! Sign up for notifications through email at the bottom of the page.

Monday, November 7, 2016

Freelancing freedom requires hard work

Challenging myself to become a better writer and more successful has always been, well, a challenge.
This November, while many writers are taking part in National Novel Writing Month, or NaNoWriMo, I have engaged in a month-long course aimed at getting a freelance business up and running.
Since finding Jorden Roper, freelance extraordinaire and no-bullshit advice giver, I seemed to have lucked out on finding more straight-forward resources from which to learn.
Sagan Morrow, a freelancer, blogger and freelance coach, based in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, created the Build Your Biz Challenge (BYBC). It is simple, straight forward and incorporates actionable tips that take 15 minutes each day to do. This is exactly the type of activity I’ve been looking for!

This is a screen shot of Sagan's website. You can see all the great
options she offers for freelancers and continuing education.

I’m super excited to complete these step-by-step activities each day because they are giving me a great sense of what I need to do as a freelancer.
Before beginning this course, I’d worked hard to develop my niche (through help from Jorden) but got sidetracked and lost momentum. My brain stalled and I couldn’t seem to get back on course.
I began following Sagan’s blog awhile back and even subscribed to her updates via email. However, my inbox started to overflow with “help” from several sources I’d thought sounded good. So Sagan’s emails got lost in the mix, until one day, an email from her caught my eye. 
I opened the one about BYBC and was immediately intrigued. I signed up and am so happy I did!
Her course (which is FREE) is making me think through a process I would never have been able to figure out on my own. She’s forced me to revisit my goals and create a few new ones for much further down the line.
She gave us a calendar on which she described the activity for each day of the month. This is helpful because I can be thinking ahead to what I may need to research, or just be thinking deeper about an aspect of freelancing I’d never thought of before. 
On top of all this, those taking part in the challenge have the opportunity to be involved in a peer group on Facebook! It is interesting to see what other freelancers want to do, what level they're at and their goals, so far. I've also made a few contacts through the group, and hope to make a bunch more. 

A screen shot of the top of our Facebook group page.

I’m excited to see what the next few weeks bring. My main goals are to have a functional website up and running by the end of November, and gain at least one client in the next three months (if not before).
The class is totally free, and if you are interested, visit Sagan’s site. The challenge isn’t only for freelance writers, like me. There are designers, editors, hair stylists, Pilates instructors, and other professionals taking the course with me! Plus, Sagan has a bunch of helpful blog posts and other freebies available for your perusal. 

Give it a go. At the very least, you may learn something. At the most, you may be inspired to branch out and start your own business. 

No comments:

Post a Comment