"I am alive and kicking"

Never miss a post! Sign up for notifications through email at the bottom of the page.

Thursday, October 27, 2016

A Halloween paper mache costume diary

Tuesday, Oct. 25     
8:13 a.m.
This year I've agreed to create a Halloween costume for Jacob.
It's six days before Halloween and I'm dreading the process.
I won't reveal what he will be yet, but I will tell you involves paper mache and a beach ball.
It is early Tuesday and I will need to look up an effective paper mache recipe so the damn thing actually turns out. I don't want him running round in a goopy mess.

This 36-inch beach ball will be the base for
Jacob's costume. (Photo by Anna Jauhola)
8:22 a.m.
I've found the recipe I need! Simpler than I figured it would be - just flour and water. I overthink things way too much. We'll see how this goes this evening with a dog, two cats, a 7-year-old and me.
Should be interesting.

11:37 a.m.
My brain will not stop reminding me of my epic task tonight.
"Paper mache ...." it whispers. "Oh, and remember, you also have to make playdough for Jacob to bring to school. So there's that. And ... you have dishes to do and laundry to fold."
Damn you, brain. Why can't you focus on one thing?! I gave you a granola bar. Isn't that enough?

5:00 p.m.
OK. So, that was a gigantic pain in the butt. However, we got half the beach ball covered in paper mache and it is currently drying. How long will it take to dry? I. Don't. Know. This could be a problem. Not to worry! I have a hair dryer. That could help, right? We'll work on the other half tomorrow evening.
P.S. The dog and cats weren't interested at all in the project. They may have avoided the kitchen due to my hostility toward the project.

The flour/water mixture for
the paper mache paste.
(Photo by Anna Jauhola)
Damn that was annoying. I hope I never
agree to this sort of thing again.
P.S. I do not have a camera on the
front of my phone.
This was pure talent to get this shot
on the first try. (Selfie by Anna Jauhola)


















Wednesday, Oct. 26
5:30 a.m.
Jacob woke me up about 5 a.m. with a bad dream. We've been reading and watching too much Harry Potter, apparently. Damn dementors. Anyway, we got up at 5:30 and I checked on the beach ball. It's still damp, but not too bad. The house gets cold at night, so I didn't expect the paper mache to dry completely. I'll take the hair dryer to it this evening

11:07 a.m.
Crap. It's Wednesday! And I only have a few days left to make this costume. I researched the possibility of making a quicker-drying paste. But the only comments and suggestions were to blow air on the project. Back to just blowing the crap out of it with my blow dryer, which gets SUPER hot, by the way.

4:30 p.m.
Alrighty. I mixed up some more paper mache paste, cut up more strips of newspaper and got to work. This time around, Jacob was not so interested, so I was on my own.
I sat down and painted paste onto the beach ball, then laid newspaper on top, then painted the newspaper with more paste. Once I'd finally finished covering the ball with this crap, I busted out my super hot blow dryer and multi-tasked by also playing a couple of rounds of Plants Vs. Zombies. I lost those rounds, but I did not lose my battle with the beach ball.

The blow dryer did its job! (Photo by Anna Jauhola)

5:14 p.m.

Success! The paper mache is drying phenomenally! So now that I've got that far, I'll leave for now and see how it dries over night.

Thursday, Oct. 27
5:45 a.m.
Well, the paper mache dried nicely. Now I feel much more confident about completing this project. I'll get on it this evening and get the whole ball covered in at least a second layer so I can get painting on Friday.
Check back on the big day - Halloween! - to see Jacob in all his glory, for the big reveal of his costume.

19 comments:

  1. NEXT TIME USE THE BEACHBALL AS A POOL TOY

    ReplyDelete
  2. next time use the beachball as a regular pool toy

    ReplyDelete
  3. NEXT TIME USE THE BEACHBALL AS A REGULAR POOL TOY IN THE WATER NEXT TIME

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. next time use the beachball as a regular pool toy this summer not for halloween

    ReplyDelete
  6. NEXT TIME USE THE BEACHBALL AS A POOL TOY THIS SUMMER NOT FOR HALLOWEEN

    ReplyDelete
  7. next time use the beachball as a pool toy in the water this summer not a halloween costume

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Next time use the beachball as a pool toy in water not a costume

    ReplyDelete
  11. next time use the beachball as a pool toy in water not for halloween

    ReplyDelete
  12. Next time use the beachball as a pool toy not for Halloween costume

    ReplyDelete
  13. Next time use the Beachball as a pool toy another time

    ReplyDelete
  14. Next time use the beachball as a regular pool toy in the water not a costume maybe another time

    ReplyDelete
  15. NEXT TIME USE THE BEACHBALL AS A PLAIN POOL TOY IN THE WATER ANOTHER TIME GET BACK TO ME HURRY

    ReplyDelete