"I am alive and kicking"

Never miss a post! Sign up for notifications through email at the bottom of the page.

Thursday, November 3, 2016

'Little Women' a capital book

My philosophy for reading in recent years is to power my way through the first chapter of a book that is dry or doesn't quite excite me. I've often found my hook in the second, third or fourth chapters.
That's exactly what I had to do with "Little Women" by Louisa May Alcott.

I'm so happy I finally read 'Little Women.' (Photo by Anna Jauhola)
When Teddy "Laurie" Laurence entered the picture in chapter three, I was immediately intrigued by his interaction with Jo at the New Year's party. 
Their immediate friendship made me yearn for them to be together. 
I was so happy that Laurie became a permanent fixture in the Marches' lives and, for me, Laurie and Jo are the characters that made this book worth reading.
Laurie and Jo romped as children, watched each other grow up and watched each other's hearts break, only to be renewed as adults.
In truth, this book took forever for me to read. It was good, but I wasn't dying to read it every night.
However, it was interesting to follow Meg, Jo, Beth and Amy.
They made me laugh and cry and get angry.
Amy is infuriating with her attitude that she must marry someone rich, but endearing when she tries so hard to be like her older sisters.
Meg's struggle with wanting pretty things but knowing she should remain humble is something with which I can relate.
Beth's saintly nature is admirable, but it made me sad she resigned herself to being a homebody. I can also relate to her mindset (not her saintly nature).
However, I relate to Jo the most. She's a writer. She is one of the boys. She does what she wants, yet also does what is required at home. She was determined to remain single and independent, yet she wanted a house full of boys. Despite that love wins in the end, her reward is so sweet and she still is able to fulfill her goal.
Her fire and enthusiasm, anguish and despair are what spoke to me throughout the book.
I wish I had half of Jo's ambition.
Overall, I'm really glad I read "Little Women." It is a true classic. I saw many themes in the book that still hold true today, nearly 150 years later.
It may have inspired me to later read "Little Men" and "Jo's Boys." But one step at a time.

Look for my next review on "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn."

2 comments:

  1. I just read this story to the girls! A shortened version was in one of their Illustrated Classics books! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful Heidi! :) I hope they enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete