"I am alive and kicking"

Never miss a post! Sign up for notifications through email at the bottom of the page.

Monday, September 19, 2016

Nostalgia can be useful

It's strange to think items from my childhood (only 25 to 30 years ago) are considered antiques.
Now, they probably aren't considered real expensive antiques, but are antique-y nonetheless. Perhaps nostalgia is a better word.
On Friday, I stopped in our local antique store, The Second Impression Palace Antique Mall. I was on a mission to find a spring-action flour sifter.
Yes. A flour sifter. It makes for fewer or no lumps when I make pancakes.
Anyway, as I searched I came across several items that would make us laugh today and others to make us say, "Awww, I remember that,"
My favorite was a pair of dolls (despite the fact I hate dolls) that I had wanted when I was a kid, but never got.

These two were a source of pure television entertainment
when I was a kid. (photo by Anna Jauhola)
Although Lisa and Bart never made it into a permanent spot in my bedroom as dolls, they were on my television. I lived to watch brand new episodes of The Simpsons every Sunday and reruns every night at various times on Fox. Thank goodness I had Fox. I literally don't know what I would have done without The Simpsons.
Another doll caught my eye while I was in the antique mall, a doll that many coveted and HAD to have. The many varieties of this doll had tall, fluffy and crazy colored hair. And they were naked.
The Troll dolls. This one in particular was quite popular, with its little jewel belly button. I personally had one troll doll with bright pink hair and it thankfully had a dress.
I found this blue-haired beast next to another strange childhood toy most would consider today to be SO 1980s.
The ViewMaster. This is how we children of the 80s saw the world. We could view the pyramids of Egypt, the Taj Mahal or the Grand Canyon. Now we have the Internet. It's just not the same.


The ViewMaster was a simple way to see history, the wonders
of the world and other fantastic sights. (photo by Anna Jauhola)
The last entertaining photo I have to show you is of a master list most businessmen and women kept on their desks far before the 1980s.
The Rolodex!

The Rolodex. Where businessmen and women kept all their
important contact information. Now we have LinkedIn
and smart phones. How boring. (photo by Anna Jauhola)
I saw this ancient version of a digital phone book in the doctor's office, dentist's office, school offices, courthouse offices and even in a few home offices. I remember thinking how the Rolodex made people look important and I couldn't wait to have one, with enough contacts to fill it.
Oh how times have changed. I still like the idea of a Rolodex, as opposed to a smart phone. I like my smart phone for quick searches for phone numbers or addresses I don't have, but there's something special about physically writing down a person's information and having it stored away with all other contacts.
As a final nostalgic note, Halloween is nearing and I broke out Hocus Pocus yesterday. It was entertaining to watch the main character Max give his phone number on a piece of paper to a girl in his class.
Why can't life be that simple again? Where is the anticipation? I used to love answering the phone not knowing who it was. But, today it is useful to cut out unwanted phone calls, particularly at dinner time, and life can be more lucrative by being able to run a business using technology and the Internet.
Once in awhile, it is good to take a step back, and perhaps mix the old with the new. Maybe I'll purchase that Rolodex to add to my new desk at home. And perhaps, Lisa and Bart might finally find their way to a shelf in my office as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment