"I am alive and kicking"

Never miss a post! Sign up for notifications through email at the bottom of the page.

Monday, December 5, 2016

"Fantastic Beasts" super freaking amazing

If you HAVE NOT SEEN "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" and PLAN on seeing it, don't read this post. I don't want to ruin it for you. 

Ever since I started reading the Harry Potter books, I wished there was some sort of series focused on or at least based in a U.S. magical community.
So when J.K. Rowling created "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them," I nearly squealed with delight. Her quirky characters and wonderful imagination once again brought to life a community I can only dream to be a part of.
I unashamedly went to "Fantastic Beasts" alone yesterday at the Mitchell movie theater. I sadly couldn't find anyone to go with, but I suppose that gave me the clearance to solely concentrate on the movie.

The Actors

I'll comment briefly on the actors, just to get it out of the way.
Nearly everyone was excellent! I loved Eddie Redmayne as Newt Scamander. He is so strange that he fits the part perfectly.
I enjoyed that a no-maj (non-magical person) was included as a supporting character in Dan Fogler as Jacob Kowalski. His wonder personified a generation of us muggles reading the Harry Potter books, and how I feel in diving into a completely different magical era.
Colin Farrell, who portrayed Percival Graves, played the part well. Since I haven't seen many movies of his, I was all right with him being cast in such a large role.
The only portion of the movie I completely disliked, as far as actors, is that they cast Johnny Depp as Gellert Grindlewald. Depp has portrayed some outlandish characters, and I just feel he has no place in the movie. Grindlewald was British, and I figured Ms. Rowling would cast a British actor to fill the role. I'm hoping she'll see her mistake, or that Johnny Depp will prove me wrong and not be as eccentric in the role. Although I know Grindlewald is an eccentric character, I have this vision in my head of how he should be and Depp does not fulfill that portrayal.

The BEASTS! 

The wonderful magic that is cinema animation could not have produced this movie more seamlessly. It was beautiful ~ a Thunderbird; a niffler; a bowtruckle named Pickett; an erumpent; a demiguise; a swooping evil; and many more. It's just too wonderful. Not gonna lie, I was nearly in tears watching this movie for a couple reasons.
Not only do I wish I could see these creatures in real life and (even as a no-maj) be a part of the wizarding world, I wish I had half the imagination and determination of J.K. Rowling. Damn that woman has a fantastic brain.
It's one thing for J.R.R. Tolkien to have completely created a world of his own, but for Rowling to have created a world within our own world and have them intertwine so perfectly, is amazing. This movie was much more mesmerizing to me because I love the 1920s, I have wanted to see backstory of Grindlewald and Dumbledore fleshed out and learn more about the wizarding world not through Harry Potter's eyes.

The Soundtrack

Thank you, Ms. Rowling, for including the Harry Potter theme in the soundtrack, but not overdoing it. The rest of the soundtrack was so wonderful, particularly the jazz, that I stayed for the credits just to hear it again.
I feel music makes the movie complete. Without a mix of music, great dialogue and superior acting, a movie is a flop for me. Music tugs at emotions and makes an audience realize when something suspenseful, happy, sad, horrible or otherwise is happening.
This is the first time in years I've even thought about purchasing a soundtrack.

Final Thoughts

If you are a huge nerd, like me, consider a few things if you'd like to learn more about the wizarding world Ms. Rowling has created. Sign up (for free!) on Pottermore.com. Rowling has added many new writings about North American magical history, including a history on the North American school of magic. My heart flutters when I even think about it. Also learn more backstory on your favorite Harry Potter characters, locations, beasts and more!
Also, here's a fun link to learn about the magical beasts in "Fantastic Beasts." Also, you will also find many writings about magical beasts on Pottermore.
As I watched "Fantastic Beasts" I had a sudden flash of the possibilities of the rest of Ms. Rowling's career. And the possibilities of my reading list for the rest of my life.
The depth of a world which Ms. Rowling has created opened up in front of me as I watched the movie. I'm pretty sure I missed about three minutes of the show just thinking of the story possibilities.
That gives me a good reason to gather $7 and go see it again before it exits the theater.

No comments:

Post a Comment