"I am alive and kicking"

Never miss a post! Sign up for notifications through email at the bottom of the page.

Monday, December 19, 2016

'Me Before You' unconventional, but an important read

Books are like really long movies for me. Some are bad, some are, "Blah, but I guess I can make it to the end." Then there are those like "Me Before You" that are just so good that I literally cry, laugh and get mad throughout.

Image may contain: one or more people and text
This beautiful story is one of making difficult
choices.

"Me Before You" is a story set in 2009 Britain. An ordinary girl named Louisa Clark loses her job after her boss closes his business. Out of desperation, and because the money is amazing, Lou takes a job caring for a quadriplegic man named Will Traynor. Will was injured in a road accident two years prior and hates his life. He hasn't left his home in two years, with the exception of medical appointments and emergencies.
So, without giving too much away, this is quite the unconventional story line and I loved it.
Lou is bubbly and sunny, but with dark undertones. She uses her clothes as a way to stay cheerful and often reminds herself she needs a job to help her struggling mother and father. But it's hard for her to remember all that when her family constantly reminds her she doesn't quite live up to her sister's standards.
Despite her bubbly nature, Will is unmoved and treats Lou like garbage ~ until one day Lou says enough.
"Me Before You" literally had me laughing out loud and tears rolling down my cheeks, in public, mind you.
Lou forces Will on several adventures just to get him out of the house. Despite some setbacks, Lou's plans start to take shape and Will's attitude begins to soften.
I could hardly put this book down at night. I found myself reading long past the time I'd promised myself I'd go to bed, saying, "Oh just one more chapter." I haven't done that in quite some time.
JoJo Moyes' writing is fluid and encapsulating, and each chapter flew by like I'd actually been watching a movie. Her characters are vivid and enjoyable, despite how stupid a few of them act.
This beautiful story is about hard choices, not only for Will but for those around him. It's an invisible subject for many people, but for those whose lives are spent dependent upon others it's a very real situation.
A big thanks to Hanna Lindstrom-Henning for suggesting the book! It was completely worth the read.

2 comments: