"I am alive and kicking"

Never miss a post! Sign up for notifications through email at the bottom of the page.

Thursday, August 18, 2016

Atomic Age design was off the wall

This morning, as I perused Facebook, I came upon a strange picture of an "Atomic Age" vanity.
My brain was still a bit foggy so I had to look closer at it and realized, "Hey! That's from the 1950s!"
I've often dreamed of living in the 1950s for the simplicity of the times, but now I want to live in the 1950s for the ridiculously fun furniture and accessories! And of course to view everyone's anxiety about aliens and Russians.
Anyway, this is the picture I saw this morning:

Wouldn't this be fun!?
Then I thought, where did this crazy type of design come from? Everything is made at odd angles and in fantastical colors.
According to an article in a magazine called Humanities, the futuristic style of furniture and accessories was organic.

From the article: "As the Machine Age waned, a new style emerged, bringing boomerang-pattern Formica and kidney-shaped coffee tables into American homes. "

I totally remember Atomic Age Formica counter tops from my high school Home Ec room. I was always intrigued by the boomerang shapes overlapping each other in an almost overwhelming design. If I recall, the background was a yellowish color and the boomerangs were outlines, like this:

Stared at this every day during 9th grade. Seriously overwhelming, but my
classmates and I did get a kick out of some of the shapes looking like the Nike symbol.
Some of my favorite interaction with Atomic Age design was at a friend's grandmother's house. Holy. Moly. So many things about that home -- to this day -- is total Atomic Age. I'm pretty sure she still has the plug-in alarm clocks that look similar to this:

This is a pretty tame design, but you see the organic-inspired shape in the
little legs under the clock. There are crazier and cooler designs out there.

She may even have a dresser or two that look like this, which I think is still a functional and classy design:


 As I scrolled through photos of Atomic Age furniture, I realized we had at least two pieces in our house growing up. One god-awful clock and an end table that looked similar to the design below, without the fancy side brackets.



I don't recall the clock much, but I know we had one similar to this a long time ago.

And then, just for fun, look at these lamps! They look like a mushroom cloud following an atomic explosion. Wild.



So. The Atomic Age of design. It was pretty neat.

No comments:

Post a Comment