"I am alive and kicking"

Never miss a post! Sign up for notifications through email at the bottom of the page.

Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Old authors and new will fill my 2017

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
My holiday was filled with binge reading. Well, as bingey as I can get.
I read two books - WATCH OUT! - "Speaking from Among the Bones" by Alan Bradley and "Took" by Mary Downing Hahn.






Hahn has long been one of my favorite authors and I now intend to binge on several of her other books. Despite the fact she writes for a very young audience, I still love her master craftsmanship.
I first read "Wait Till Helen Comes" when I was in second grade - age 7. Scared the dickens out of me, but also intrigued me to no end. I read it at least twice every year through middle school. In fact, I remember a substitute librarian asking me once in third grade (age 8), "Don't you think you're too young for chapter books?" when I placed the book on the checkout counter.
I looked at her and said, "No. I've read this book many times already. And other chapter books."
Even now, I often think of Hahn's writing and ponder how in the world I could possibly become that great of a writer.
So when I saw she had a new book out, I couldn't wait to read "Took."
Hahn is known for her ghost stories aimed at elementary-aged readers.
I read "Took" in an afternoon. It was not only easy to read, it was so gripping I couldn't put it down.
It is based on an old folk tale and is set in West Virginia, where a family relocates to a spooky old house that had been abandoned for 50 years. It's completely worth the read. If you're jumpy, try reading it in the afternoon, though, especially if the view out your window is the woods.

"Speaking from Among the Bones" is the fifth in the Flavia de Luce series by Alan Bradley.
This is the first I've read of Bradley's work, which I don't think made a huge difference.
However, I WILL be starting the series from the beginning very soon. Flavia de Luce is one of the most intriguing characters I've read in a long time. Her obsession with chemistry is intoxicating, despite the fact I hated chemistry in high school. I'm not the sciencey type.
Oh, did I mention she's 11? She's a little genius living in a time when girls were expected to dress nicely, sit up straight, keep their mouths shut and generally settle in the background.
Flavia is unique in every way opposite the 1950s norm for girls in England. And I love it.

I do not make New Year's resolutions, because -- SHOCKER -- I never keep them.
However, a resolution I can keep is to read more books! I've got a list I have to keep so I can continue reviewing them online, but I also have a growing list of books for fun.
Watch out 2017! I'm super excited to add more and more books to my new bookshelf and to check off the ones added to my "to read" list.

No comments:

Post a Comment