"I am alive and kicking"

Never miss a post! Sign up for notifications through email at the bottom of the page.

Thursday, May 5, 2016

Legal age increase won't stop kids from getting cigarettes

As I listened to the news this morning, my ears perked up for once.
California has passed a law setting the legal age for purchasing tobacco products at 21.
Interesting.
Do they think that will stop children from getting cigarettes and other tobacco?
I'm not sure it will, at least not for all kids. Perhaps it will stop some from doing it, you know, those brown nosers who are terrified of breaking the law (guilty as charged).
Perhaps the tax increase of an extra $2 a pack will stop them, because who can afford $10 a pack for cigarettes? I certainly could not. I'd rather purchase a cup of endless coffee for $2.05 at Perkins, thanks, or perhaps a $5 pair of pants on super clearance at Shopko.
Or maybe take a drink of water for FREE at a water fountain.
At any rate, children will always find ways to get things they want. If they want cigarettes, they can always find someone to purchase a pack for them, or just take them from a parent's pocket or another adult's pocket.
Yes. I know, I'm a downer. We all think our children will make good choices because we've influenced them so.
Well, no. Children will always want to try things their parents tell them not to. I know I have.
How do we stop them? We can't.
It is my sincere hope that my own child never tries cigarettes of any kind (that includes e-cigs).
However, we can instill in our children the love for something so incredible they won't have the time or money to even THINK of purchasing cigarettes (or other things they shouldn't be doing).
For example, gardening. Holy crap does that cost a ton of money. It is a labor of love, and so far, Jacob really loves it. He is fascinated by watching plants grow. Each day we check on our raspberry bush (pictured here) and each day it grows bigger, gaining a huge, "WHOA! Look at how big it is!" from Jacob.

I'm not saying this love will completely overpower the possible want to try cigarettes or other unsavory activities in the future. However, it could prevent him from having enough money to purchase both gardening supplies/plants/seeds and cigarettes.
Plus, gardening can be pretty labor intensive. You can't exactly garden and not be able to breathe because your lungs are black from all the crap in cigarettes.
So, with the deterrants of bad health and no money, and the numerous benefits including being outdoors and reaping the fruits of his labor, perhaps Jacob will never try cigarettes.
I know, that's quite the hope on my part.
I laud the states that have, at the very least, put high taxes on a pack of cigarettes, making them quite expensive.
Unfortunately, my husband smokes so I know a pack of cigarettes in Minnesota is about $10, if not more by now.
That is deterrant enough for me and I know Jacob would rather spend money on camping gear, gardening equipment or gas (to get us to Mount Rushmore).

No comments:

Post a Comment