"I am alive and kicking"

Never miss a post! Sign up for notifications through email at the bottom of the page.

Thursday, October 13, 2016

Gotta love the embodiment of God's sense of humor

What do you get when you have a 7 year old who loves "Phineas and Ferb", and is super curious?
"Mom, are platypuses real?"
That was the beginning of my conversation this morning with Jacob as we drove to Mitchell.
"Yes honey, they are real. And you know what? They are mammals that lay eggs."
Mind. Blown.
"I didn't know mammals could lay eggs!" Jacob said.
So I handed Jacob my phone and he Googled platypus so he could see a picture of a real one.

Platypuses are strange animals from the wilds of Australia.
Jacob's reaction? "Yuck." He said they look nothing like Perry the Platypus from "Phineas and Ferb."
I laughed and said, "Well, Perry is a cartoon. Real platypuses are not pets."
He asked why they lay eggs. And we had to look it up, because I couldn't remember the name for mammals that lay eggs. So, trusty old National Geographic was in the top billing for search results and we clicked on the link to find platypuses are monotremes - one of five species of monotremes, in fact.
The other four are different types of echidnas. All monotremes live in Australia and New Guinea.
Jacob was so excited about learning these facts that he asked me to write down the word monotreme so he could share this fantabulous news with his class at school.
Today, I predict Jacob might be a tad bit obnoxious in telling everyone he talks to what he learned about platypuses and monotremes.
He was disappointed, however, to find that Perry the Platypus is not real. It would be super awesome to have a pet platypus who is also secretly a spy.


No comments:

Post a Comment