"I am alive and kicking"

Never miss a post! Sign up for notifications through email at the bottom of the page.

Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Book-in-a-Day: Bookshots by James Patterson is my new obsession

It's been years since I've finished a book in one day.
The last one I remember reading in a 24-hour period was "E is for Evidence" by Sue Grafton. I stayed up until 3 a.m. on a school night (GASP!) because I simply couldn't put it down. I just kept saying, "Just one more chapter."
On Friday, I stopped at the local bookstore, which is dangerous, and found a stack of James Patterson books. It attracted my attention because the books were quite thin, so I couldn't help but pick them up. Below is what I found - a 144-page thriller.

"113 Minutes" is a fast-paced thriller in which we find out
who killed Molly Rourke's son. (Photo by Anna Jauhola)

They are called Bookshots. Mr. Patterson co-authors many of the books, including the one I read, "113 Minutes." I started reading it while waiting for my son to get done with school for the day. And when I got home, I set it on my desk and planned to read before bed. When I picked it up, I couldn't put it down. It was so fast paced and well written that I had to find out what happened. (Note: I did not have to stay up until 3 a.m.)
Actually, it only took me a couple hours to read - I'm a slow reader, most others would maybe have devoured it in an hour.
Bookshots is right up my alley -- 150-page-or-less thrillers, romances, and nonfiction -- not only because I like to read a good story quickly, but because it's the type of fiction writing I'm interested in pursing.
It'll be my mission over the winter to read and dissect as many of these Bookshots as possible.
Writing in this novella format would be so perfect. I love reading a long book (like the last four Harry Potter books) but I cannot imagine writing anything much over 200 pages.
If you're interested, take a gander at Mr. Patterson's Bookshots -- listed on his webpage or right at Bookshots.com.
P.S. When you read "113 Minutes" you'll be intrigued by the plot. It's entertaining and totally satisfying, at least for this former cops and courts reporter. It truly is "all thriller, no filler."

No comments:

Post a Comment