"I am alive and kicking"

Never miss a post! Sign up for notifications through email at the bottom of the page.

Friday, March 11, 2016

Floating for headache relief

Tension headaches are the worst, and I get them often.
I've searched out remedies for this problem, which have rarely worked and I just end up taking some aspirin or ibuprofen.
Then, a month ago, I noticed a new business in Mitchell that could possibly relieve my problems.
This is what a pod looks like. It is 9 feet long by 6 feet wide by
5 feet tall. So the pod is really roomy. (Photo by Anna Jauhola) 

Angie and Tim Moon opened up Float Spa on Mitchell's Main Street on Jan. 31 to a full roster of clients. For the last month, they've averaged 12 clients a day and weekends are booked solid.
Monday through Saturday, they can takes as many as 16 clients.
What is Float Spa, you ask?
Try a float. It's amazing!
(photo by Anna Jauhola)
Well. Let me tell you. It's heaven on earth. Seriously.
I experienced floating Thursday afternoon (which would be why I didn't post a blog yesterday) complete with headache before entering the pod. It was a surreal experience. At first, it was awkward because my toes or fingertips kept bumping the sides of the pod. But after a bit, I found my spot and completely mellowed out. The tension in my shoulders and neck melted away.
It was hard to calm my mind down in tandem with my body, I had so much to think about. But I finally did and enjoyed my experience.
The pod is 9 feet long, and 6 feet wide. It is shaped like an egg and you enter through a hatch door, which is on hydralics to it opens and closes easily. Before getting in, you take a quick shower with soap and shampoo only to wash away any oils. Also, you wear ear plugs in the pod.
Inside, the water is 10 inches deep with 1,000 pounds of natural epsom salts. The 93.5 degree water matches your skin temperature, making it seem like you are floating in space.
Angie recommends you turn off all the lights in the room and the light in the pod while you float. It helps bring you into a heightened state of awareness. Throughout your hour-long float, soothing music plays in the pod. If you don't like it, you are in control of whether it plays and how loud it plays.
Also, she recommends - but does not require - that clients float in the nude. It frees the body of all restrictions and allows you to be more at peace. However, if a client is uncomfortable going nude, they can wear a swim suit.
Angie warns, though, that swimsuits can contaminate the pod's water for that client's session. But, after the session is over, the pod's water is filtered through four times completely clearing it of any contamination.
Angie said she's also had claustrophobic clients who have no problem inside the pods. Some have left the pod door a crack open, others have found it okay to leave the door closed.
Privacy is also important at Float Spa, as the pod rooms each have a shower and a lock on the door.
I'll be frank. I went nude. And it was wonderful. I couldn't imagine floating for so long (60 minutes) wearing a constrictive swimming suit.
At one point, I actually felt like I was floating in space.
One reason for floating noted on the Float Spa website is heightened visualizations. One day, I hope to experience that ... perhaps it would be something like hallucinating, but without the drugs!
After you float, you take another shower to wash away the epsom salts, and let me tell you! The soap and shampoo Angie offers is amazing. The citrus scents are invigorating. AND you can bring home a bit of the spa with you with epsom salts, shampoo, lotion and hand soap.
The soap, shampoo and lotion at Float Spa are available to
take home with you! (Photo by Anna Jauhola)
After you're done with your float and have had some oxygen, there is a spot for yoga or to do some stretching. The oxygen revitalizes you, considering your float is the equivalent of four hours of sleep.
Angie says, after you float, any inflammation you may have experienced will be lessened and it would be the perfect time to stretch out tired muscles.
Remember the headaches I mentioned? After I got out the pod, showered and enjoyed some time at the oxygen bar (Yeah, that's right. Oxygen bar), I realized my headache was still lingering.
I hopped in my car, picked up Jacob from school, and started my drive home. Before leaving town, I noticed my head stopped hurting and my shoulders weren't tense any more.
I'm excited about this new experience, right here in Mitchell!
Check out the new business at 121 N. Main St., and visit the website at Mitchellfloatspa.com to see prices and options. It's well worth the visit!

1 comment:

  1. For relief from headache, I tried chiropractic. It’s a natural TCM technique and worked quickly than any other therapy. Got permanent relief. My Mississauga chiropractic was really friendly and helped me a lot.

    ReplyDelete