"I am alive and kicking"

Never miss a post! Sign up for notifications through email at the bottom of the page.

Thursday, September 8, 2016

My wrist won; I brought back the watch

Recently, my wrist felt lonely. 
And it often asked for my attention after the clock in my car started going haywire. Eventually that clock went completely dark and my wrist won. 
It got its best friend back. 

Wearing a watch completes me. (photo by Anna Jauhola)
After a few years of just not wearing a watch, I've started wearing one again. 
I'll give you a few reasons why. 


1. I simply need to know what time it is ALL the time. 

I don't want to dig in my purse or pocket to find my damn cell phone. What a pain. My purse is black and so is my phone. I can't ever find it in there. 
My wrist is always within easy reach, even if I have to push back a long sleeve to look at it. The only thing that's easier is having a wall clock or your computer clock right in front of you all day.

2. It's a classy way to dress up your wardrobe. 

I am no fashion queen. You should see what I'm wearing today. Yikes. 
BUT, when I wear my watch, I feel pretty classy. It's a cute little thing my husband bought me before we were even engaged. It's a Relic (which makes me feel ultra cool) and it's dainty, yet durable. 
It goes with practically everything I wear, too, save sweats or pajamas. 

3. It keeps my wedding ring company. 

My hands are kind of tiny and manly, they're freckled beyond repair and bear a few scars here and there. And when I am watchless, my hand looks funny with just my wedding ring. I put on my watch so the two can complete the ensemble for the day.

4. Checking the time is rude, but less rude than looking at your cell phone.

I feel it's much less insulting to look at your wrist when you're talking to someone or at an event. When someone takes out their cell phone when I'm talking to them, I automatically assume they're bored with me (because they probably are) and start texting or playing games or browsing the Internet. But when you look at your watch, it's usually just an indicator of one of two things ~ you have to get going OR you want to know what time it is. 

5. I feel naked and lost without my watch.

For the couple of years I did not regularly wear a watch, I often caught myself looking at my bare wrist for the time. It didn't matter if I was alone or with a group of people, my reaction was always the same: I'd cover my wrist with my right hand and say out loud, "I don't have a watch on." I then kept my hand over my wrist and frantically searched for a clock on a wall. 

No comments:

Post a Comment