"I am alive and kicking"

Never miss a post! Sign up for notifications through email at the bottom of the page.

Monday, September 26, 2016

Thin pancakes or thick?

In honor of National Pancake Day, I'd like to take a minute of your time and share thoughts about this delicious treat meant for any time of the day.
When I think of pancakes, I think of big fluffy buttermilk deliciousness.

Fluffy pancakes like these are delicious, particularly on National Pancake Day!

I also like the seasonal delights of pumpkin pancakes or fresh-picked strawberries on top of buttermilk cakes with homemade whipped cream (just like Grandma used to make).
While I adore these round bits of heaven, I actually prefer thinner, heavier pancakes.
I know, I'm a little weird.
My pancake recipe goes light on the flour, heavy on the eggs and milk. I concoct my recipe mostly from memory, along with trial and error.
Pancakes I make (which Jacob eats, but not Derek) look much like this:

Thinner pancakes are just as filling, but take less room on your plate.They also
have a spongier texture and look a lot like lefse. Mmmm ... lefse.
I douse mine in plain old maple syrup (usually whatever's cheapest) but I don't skimp on the butter - I use real butter at all times. None of this "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter." Because I certainly CAN believe it's not butter. Yuck.
So, go home tonight and either make pancakes for supper OR prepare your ingredients for a wonderful breakfast tomorrow morning. If you keep baking supplies in your house, here's my quick recipe for thin pancakes:

3/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp of baking powder
1 1/2 tsp of baking soda
2-3 eggs (depending on how heavy you want the cakes)
1 cup of milk

Mix dry ingredients together first. Whisk eggs in a bowl and add to the dry ingredients, and add milk. Mix all together until mixture is runny. Fry in butter in small pan. Usually makes 4-6 large pancakes (7 inches in diameter, if you're curious).

This recipe literally takes 10 minutes or less to make. Plus the pancakes cook quickly, so if you have hungry little devils running around your house, you should be able to satisfy their desires for pancakes in 20 minutes or so. Good luck. Don't lose any fingers when people/little devils scramble to snatch these off the serving plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment