"I am alive and kicking"

Never miss a post! Sign up for notifications through email at the bottom of the page.

Monday, August 1, 2016

Baby Steps to Better Planning, More Writing

Excuses can really take over when my brain does not want to allow me to write.
There's one now -- I'm blaming my brain for my lack of writing, lethargy and downright procrastination.

Organization, scheduling and procrastination are my weak points when it
comes to my own writing. I'm working on that. (Photo by Anna Jauhola)

I've been scouring for some advice on how to become better organized and be a more consistent writer. One of my favorite blogs is The Write Life.
Today, I read an especially reassuring blog post about why writers struggle with writer's block.
The author, Jes Gonzalez, hit a note with me with number 4 of her list of 6 Reasons You're Struggling To Overcome Writer's Block.
I have trouble making my writing a priority. I do not have a schedule for when I should sit down and either plan or just write.
It's hard to finish my day at work and then say, "Hey, now is YOUR time. Write away!" I tend to get distracted by thoughts of groceries, chores at home and so on.
Instead, I recently spoke with my boss and was able to rearrange my work schedule to focus more on my writing, so there's baby step one!
Now I need to bookmark Ms. Gonzalez's post to remind myself to not be too hard on myself, create motivations to write and to just plain write. I definitely have plenty of ideas rolling around my brain.
So here's to better planning and more writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment