"I am alive and kicking"

Never miss a post! Sign up for notifications through email at the bottom of the page.

Thursday, February 18, 2016

Must-have List of Chores for Your Children

Our son asked us not long ago if he could do chores to earn money.
He is six.
What a novel idea for a six-year-old, I thought.
Finally this week, we sat down and worked out a preliminary list of chores for him to do.
Jacob will do one big chore a day that will earn him $1, like taking out the trash.
Each subsequent smaller chore, like picking up his room, he will earn between 25 cents and 50 cents.

This preliminary, handwritten chores chart is the first step
to raising a responsible child. (Photo by Anna Jauhola)
In a quest to find other chores for him, I found many lists of age-appropriate chores for children.
While I have not finalized Jacob's list yet, I've found a few different ideas to toss at him throughout the week.
Use your best judgment in assigning chores to your children. For example, Jacob can certainly do many chores on the lists for 8-to-9 year olds, 10-to-12 year olds andeven the 13+ list.

1. Put away toys. This is simple for children of any age. For toddlers, you might work with them at first to make sure they know what you want. With older children, they should know where their toys go, unless they are spoiled rotten.

2. Clean up bedroom. I was never the best at this. However, I never just shoved stuff in my closet to "clean" my room. Again, helping your child a couple times helps ensure they know exactly what you want. Checking their work afterward will hold them accountable (aka, checking the closet and under the bed).

3. Fold the laundry. I started off with Jacob folding his own clothes and towels. He has helped put away laundry before, so he knows where everything goes. AND, he was quite successful this week at figuring out the correct (or my correct) way of folding shirts.

4. Take out the trash. We live in a tiny town, so I'm okay with Jacob walking the trash to the curb. He still needs a bit of help dragging the can if it's heavy, but he's willing to do it, so why not?

5. Gather trash within the house. Our house is small and can get cluttered. I often ask Jacob to pick up empty pop bottles, granola bar wrappers or loose papers he colored on and throw them away. This small chore helps keep the house at least picked up. This chore also includes putting the bathroom trash bag in the garbage every few days.

6. Vacuum. We have not tried this yet, but I am confident Jacob will do well and enjoy it. Granted, a three-year-old may not be able to handle a vacuum, but a six-year-old willing to do chores will relish the idea.

7. Feed the pets. We have a dog and two cats. They eat a LOT of food. Jacob has already taken to feeding and watering them when asked, but now it will become his responsibility.

8. Help clean the bathroom. I know what you're thinking. BLEACH. Nope. I don't like or use bleach, except to disinfect after illnesses. My favorite cleaner is called Simple Green, and it works better than any bleach product I've ever tried. Jacob has already agreed that he can wipe out the sink, tub and toilet. I'm jumping on this offer ASAP.

9. Bring in and put away groceries. Jacob loves grocery shopping, so it was a natrual move to also give him the chore of helping carry in and put away groceries when we got home. Really all he does is hand me items and I put them away while he gathers up the bags for later use.

10. Help clean the entryway. However your house is laid out, it always seems there's one area where shoes, coats and other miscellany congregate. For us, it's the entryway, where the washer and dryer, water heater, deep freeze and kitty litter all live. It can be quite the challenge to keep that place clean. With a little help (and maybe a bigger payoff) I'll have a great companion to help keep it clean.

Now that Jacob will have chores to do, it will hold me more accountable to do my own share of housework a little more often.

What chores work for your children? Does it motivate you to be a better housekeeper? I'd love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment